Position Title: Communications Specialist
Position Reports To: Director, Communications
Date: April 2017
Visit Anaheim’s mission is to develop, market and sell Anaheim to benefit the economic vitality of our communities.
As a Visit Anaheim Communications Specialist - become a part of a dynamic team promoting the world of travel & tourism public relations including: corporate communications, public relations, and social media.
- Media Relations
- Identify, develop and manage relationships with key media contacts.
- Support pitch efforts targeting local, regional and national print, broadcast and online/social media.
- Curate and maintain all media list databases; track and report on media movements.
- Help shape content for traditional and social media outreach.
- Produce, edit and manage written communication materials including press releases/social media releases, fact sheets, Q&As, and reports.
- Provide media events support such as press conferences, briefings, media tours + FAMs.
- Social Media
- Identify, develop and manage relationships with key social influencers, bloggers and industry experts.
- Demonstrate understanding and implementation of social media tools
- Provide digital/social media engagement support.
- Contribute to community management (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
- Manage VisitAnaheim.org blog and a team of bloggers to continually update destination information.
- Monitoring and Reporting
- Develop traditional and social media monitoring measurement reports tracking results.
- Curate and distribute daily industry news updates.
- 2-4 years of agency and/or corporate public relations experience.
- Proven track record in building/maintaining traditional and digital media relationships.
- Excellent writing and research skills and experience in all forms of traditional and social communications, from news releases to blog post creation.
- Experience across social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.
- Strong communication and presentation skills to effectively articulate ideas to colleagues and staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, English, Marketing or a related field is preferred.
No supervision is required for this position.
B. Mental Application
Ability to concentrate on tasks for long periods of time. Capable of performing several tasks simultaneously. Competent to present information, answer questions, talk informatively. Attention to detail required. Direct contact with general public. Ability to meet deadlines.
C. Contacts – Internal and Public
Frequent contact with those individuals inside and outside of the organization. A friendly, outgoing personality is required for smooth department operations.
Required: College degree required.
Preferred: Concentration in Marketing, Business, or Communications preferred.
Required: Minimum 2-4 years experience in PR department.
Required: Detailed-oriented with the ability to oversee projects from origin through execution. Willingness to learn and should be able to flourish in a high-growth, dynamic, entrepreneurial environment. Superior communication skills, both oral and written. Self-starter, with hands-on approach towards business.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Travel will be limited. Work week will regularly exceed 37 1/2 hours. Occasional evening and weekend work as needed. A consistent and reliable presence at work is necessary.